Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The People of Paris

Hello everyone! Sorry I've been so bad about writing in this, I promise I'll do better! So here are the major updates: I started my classes at the Sorbonne. Its two hours of grammar everyday and one our of phonetics everyday every other week. So it is A LOT of hours of French. I've come to the conclusion that if I don't leave here speaking beautiful almost perfect French, then I should just give up! I'm starting the phonetics classes next week, and I will be picking which conferences, topic courses taught in French, I'm going to take soon. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take an art class, since I know absolutely nothing about it. So hopefully, I will leave here feeling a bit more cultured.

Hannah and Anna, two good friends from AU that are also studying abroad in Europe, came to visit this past weekend! Mr. and Mme Dupond were nice enough to let them stay over their house. We had a fabulous time, of course! It was nice to have some familiar faces around. I already posted a gazillion pictures of our weekend on facebook. It was an exhausting weekend! Both nights that they were here we didn't get home until the wee hours of the morning, followed by some intensive touristing! So, I need to do some making up for the hours of sleep that I lost.

I'm also very happy to report that I don't look like a lost tourist anymore! French people have actually approached me asking for directions. Although, I usually have no idea what the answer is, I'm very excited that they think I look like I belong here! I finally figured out the secret to looking French. First of all, you can't open your mouth. As soon as you say one word, it could be "bonjour" and they will hear your (and by your I mean my) atrocious American accent. Second of all, you have to take the sign off of your forehead that says "lost American." I have found that I can do this the best by obviously knowing where I am going and listening to my iPOD. I just make pretend that I am so knowledgeable about where I am going that I need a distraction to make my metro ride more tolerable. Third of all, you can't smile. This has been the hardest part for me. Whenever I make eye contact with a person I have the tendency to give them a polite smile. French people don't do this. You have to earn their smiles. So that pretty much sums it up! Don't look lost, don't open your mouth, and look like a bitch. VoilĂ  you look French!

So that's pretty much what's been going on over here. Its been a lot of school, getting to know the city, and hanging out with friends. Ok so I thought I would leave all of my lovely readers (and by readers I mean my family and friends) with some of the insight that I have thus far observed during my time here concerning the people of Paris. I've done some intensive people watching since I've been here, so here is the consensus so far.

French Stereotypes Resolved:

Stereotype One: French people are rude.
Au contraire, my dears! The majority of the French people I've had the pleasure to encounter, with the exception of one rude ass taxi driver, have been extremely nice. They have answered all of my questions about how to get places and many have made conversation wanting to know where I am from and what I'm doing here. However, I can see how people have come up with this stereotype (see aforementioned story of how to look French). Anyway, this one is definitely false!

Stereotype Two: French people are skinny.
For the most part I have found this one to be very true! Although, not everyone is model skinny, there are just not many overweight/obese people!

Stereotype Three: French people smell.
Now, this is obviously a gross generalization. However, I have found that compared to the U.S. there is a greater ratio of smelly people here. I have encountered quite a few on the metro. But this is by no means the norm!

Stereotype Four: French people are really into sex, romance, and love.
Well, I have yet to make any discoveries on French people and sex; but, mon dieu, are people into making out in public here. They are everywhere! Couples kissing in the metro, on the street, on the steps to Sacre Coeur! Its like a pandemic of people that are in love and feel the need to show it to the world.

Okay, I'm out of stereotypes. But let me know if you know more that I should be on the look out for. Anyway, I'm sorry this has been such a ridiculously long post. I, clearly, should not wait so long between posts. Oh one last thing! I have completed something on my bucket list! I gave in to peer pressure from Hannah and bought myself a red beret. I'm pretty sure I still look touristy in it, but a damn cute tourist!

No comments:

Post a Comment